Course Syllabus and Lesson PlannerCourse Info: Download PDF
This course is written for 6-12 graders. In this course students will learn the photo editing software called GIMP. It is like a free alternative to Adobe Photoshop. There will be videos, quizzes, and projects throughout the course that will help amplify the learning experience.Description:
In this course there are 7 modules that cover everything from the introduction of Gimp to working in and saving your artwork in Gimp.
- Module 1 covers the introduction to Gimp and lets you know what you can do with and what it can do for you.
- Module 2 will teach you some basics of Gimp and go over certain terms and tools.
- Module 3 covers working with Layers and Colors in Gimp.
- Module 4 covers how to make selections in Gimp. .
- Module 5 teaches you how to add type and use paths in Gimp.
- Module 6 shows you the basics of image editing using Gimp.
- Module 7 discusses how to save your artwork in Gimp.
As an elective course, we recommend one module per week. Therefore, we feel that this course should take approximately 7-8 weeks to complete all modules/quizzes, and leave time to study, and take, the final exam. (See Lesson Plan below)
Course Prerequisites (if applicable):none
- Computer– Students must have access to a computer with internet access and an internet browser. Simply STEM has been successfully tested using Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari. In addition, we have tested many versions of smart phone/tablet browsers as well.
Internet Access – Although results may vary, based on connection type and speeds, we have tested our online videos on DSL, Satellite, Cable, and cellular connections. Our courses cannot be download and require internet access to view them.
Grading will be based on quizzes, project uploads, and teacher requirements.Lesson Plan:
|Module 1 – Introduction to Gimp||Week 1|
|Module 2 – Getting Started||Week 2|
|Module 2 – Quiz||Week 2|
|Module 3 – Working with Layers & Colors||Week 3|
|Module 3 – Quiz||Week 3|
|Module 3 – Project||Week 3|
|Module 4 – Making Selections||Week 4|
|Module 4 – Quiz||Week 5|
|Module 4 – Project||Week 4|
|Module 5 – Working with Text & Paths||Week 5|
|Module 5 – Quiz||Week 5|
|Module 5 – Project||Week 5|
|Module 6 – Editing Images||Week 5|
|Module 6 – Quiz||Week 5|
|Module 6 – Project||Week 5|
|Module 7 – Saving Your Artwork||Week 5|
|Module 7 – Quiz||Week 5|
|Final Project||Week 6|
|Study for Final Exam||Week 6|
|Final Exam||Week 6|