Intro to Java
Course Syllabus and Lesson PlannerCourse Info
Difficulty: This course assumes no coding experience in Java but moves quickly to engage older students ages 12+.
Objective: To teach students how to create their own programs in Java. Students will learn to code java in its native environment using Eclipse a free open source IDE. Students will code multiple programs, games and exercises to learn Java. The final projects will be using Swing to create a UI to play Tic Tac Toe and create a image shuffler puzzle.
Assessments: There are quizzes at the end of each lesson consisting of 5 random questions. There are two timed tests.
Uploads: Students will upload projects at the end of each lesson.
Length: This course is designed to be one semester worth of content assuming around 2 – 3 hours / week engagement.Lesson Plan:
- Lesson 1: Workspace setup for Java and Eclipse learning Classes and how to Print
- Lesson 2: Data Types – going over all the primitive data types
- Lesson 3: Using Print statements and variables to create a crazy mad lib
- Lesson 4: Using If Statements and logic to play Paper Rock Scissors plus modulus with FizzBuzz
- Lesson 5: Do while and while loops to create a Guess My Number Game
- Lesson 6: If statements and random numbers to play a stick game against the computer
- Lesson 7: Learning Arrays and more Modulus to create logic to randomly shuffle and deal a deck of cards
- Lesson 8: Using Double Arrays to create a grid for your Battleship Game
- Lesson 9: UI window creation with Swing – creating a Tic Tac Toe game
- Lesson 10: UI creation with Swing – creating an image slicer picture puzzler