Intro to Java Programming for Kids
Course Syllabus and Lesson Planner
Download Java programming for kids PDF
This course assumes no coding experience in Java but moves quickly to engage older
students ages 12+.
To teach students how to create their own programs in Java. Students will learn to code
java in its native environment using Eclipse a free open source IDE. Students will code multiple programs, games and exercises to learn Java. The final projects will be using Swing to create a UI to play Tic Tac Toe and create a image shuffler puzzle.
There are quizzes at the end of each lesson consisting of 5 random questions. There are
two timed tests.
Students will upload projects at the end of each lesson.
This course is designed to be one semester worth of content assuming around
2 – 3 hours / week engagement.
- Lesson 1: Workspace setup for Java and Eclipse learning Classes and how to Print
- Lesson 2: Data Types – going over all the primitive data types
- Lesson 3: Using Print statements and variables to create a crazy mad lib
- Lesson 4: Using If Statements and logic to play Paper Rock Scissors plus modulus with
- Lesson 5: Do while and while loops to create a Guess My Number Game
- Lesson 6: If statements and random numbers to play a stick game against the computer
- Lesson 7: Learning Arrays and more Modulus to create logic to randomly shuffle and deal a
deck of cards
- Lesson 8: Using Double Arrays to create a grid for your Battleship Game
- Lesson 9: UI window creation with Swing – creating a Tic Tac Toe game
- Lesson 10: UI creation with Swing – creating an image slicer picture puzzler